Sunday, January 6, 2013

America Again?



Stephen Colbert is my one true love, and the force that fuels all of my political ravings.  This being said, I must break from my challenge and compose a response to his newest work--America Again: Re-becoming the Greatness We Never Weren't.  As perfect as America is in every way, our country is broken, thus launching Colbert's thesis into full effect.  He uses his sharp wit to pick out America's follies, and shares his solutions with those who are willing to buy his book.  Unfortunately, mere ownership of this book bound me into a non-disclosure agreement to not share the contents of the book with anyone.  This being said, I have decided to discuss the ingenuity of the work anyway.

One of my personal favorite quotes appeared in reference to our initial growing into an agricultural power: "We've defeated the Native Americans, the Nazis, and even the metric system" - I particularly appreciate the latter.  In his 'Easy Solutions,' he suggests retracing our steps to where we last saw our thriving economy, spicing up one of our clunker states (eg. new windows and rat traps) before selling it to a Saudi Prince, limiting maternity leaves to 15 minutes, and singing the National Anthem twice before football games.  Ah Mr. Colbert, you are too funny.  I absolutely loved I Am America (And So Can You), but America Again may be even better, given how it's focused itself on the current economic situation and offers advice on what America is doing well (just about everything) and the problems with it (mainly regular people). America Again is one of those books that I almost hated to read in public, because with all the time I spent giggling and cracking up, I'm sure I looked like a moron to people around me. But it's all but impossible not to laugh on just about every page of this, from the odd footnotes to the numerous "regular" voices in the book to the gloriously insane methods to help people with things like insurance forms and resume work.

It is important to remember however, that Mr. Colbert is not being serious.  He is simply being his character, a conservative Republican who hates gays and liberals.  America Again is by far, the most entertaining work that I have read in a very long time.  There is no word to describe my excitement about Mr. Colbert and his talent as a political satirist.  I love him, is that not good enough?


No comments:

Post a Comment