Thursday, January 31, 2013

What Theater?

This week has really frustrated me.  My high school has again demonstrated it's preference to athletics.  Don't get me wrong, we have immense talent when it comes to our athletics, and it is wonderful that we do appreciate their accomplishments, but it would be nice if other our organizations got some recognition.  How often do you hear about the success of Theater, or Band, or Science Olympiad?  The answer, unfortunately enough, is rarely.
I'm not going to lie, but this is extremely disheartening.  The One Acts are this weekend and I have yet to hear a single person mention them.  Of course I am a bit biased, seeing as I take part in theater and obviously want that it be broadcasted throughout the state, but I'm not sure if my bias is the actual issue here.  So many extra-curricular activities accomplish amazing things, but remain unknown because the school fails to really appreciate them. 


Does anyone else feel this way?  Comment away! Your opinions are always appreciated :)

3 comments:

  1. would you take a theatre scholarship?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought that athletic scholarships were given out so often because good college sports teams bring lots of publicity directly to the school. Like if some kid goes to whatever college, majors in drama, and then goes on to become a famous actor, most people probably won't know what college they went to. Think of any actor and then try to think of what college they went to without looking it up.

    But if a star athlete takes their college football team to the Rose Bowl, that school will get direct publicity- or if a fantastic basketball player gets drafted from a college, that college will get recognition as well.

    I'm sure what I've just said isn't 100% the reason why that kind of scholarship happens more often, but I do think it's at least part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well of course, a scholarship is a scholarship! But I don't really think any kind of scholarship outside of the realm of academics is a "fair" one. My rant was really only expressing my frustration with St. Mark's though. I mean, they don't even include Anime and Film Club on their T-Shirts, where is the camaraderie in that?

    ReplyDelete