Friday, March 15, 2013

Why I Hate Poetry but Love Li-Young Lee


Whenever I think of poetry, I imagine a person sitting at a small table in the candlelight, thinking, "Now is the time for me to be all emo and write about my feelings, blah blah blah."  Don't get me wrong, I love modern poetry and sarcastic poetry, and I have a dream of becoming a rapper during my years in university, but I am honestly unable to sit down and enjoy reading a compilation of poems.  This being said, I wanted to focus on a poet that I knew very little about, so that I would have to preconceptions prior to reading his work.  Li-Young Lee has, surprisingly enough, stolen my heart.  I never imagined that I could read a poem about eating dinner or making a bed, and enjoy it.  Aqua Man must have drowned, because even I didn't expect this.

The first piece that I came across, was "From Blossoms," a little diddy that Lee wrote in response to peach blossoms.  Obviously there is more meaning to this poem--something that I will cover during a later entry--but it had a strange, cosmic affect on me.  It was simple, philosophic, and reminded me of my Asian homeland--all things that I complete adore.  After my reading of "From Blossoms," I sat at my computer and contemplated the meaning of life.  Once I realized that my contemplation just left me with more questions, I dove back into Lee's work.  I read a few more of his poems, and decided that I must drive to the library and grab a few of his compilations.  I ended up borrowing the lot, running back to my house and locking myself in my room.  I read his autobiographical work, Winged Seed: A Remembrance, and felt immensely closer with Lee as a person.  He bears his soul for the world to see, and that is why I am in love with him.  He is the bravest man that I have even encountered. 

After getting an understanding of Lee, I began to read his poetry.  I believe that I enjoy his poetry, in comparison to other works that discuss feelings and things that I personally do not care about, because I became aware of his life.  Every experience had affected him in such a way, that he was capable of recounting it through the written word.  He found solace in an art form, which I find to be beautiful.

In summation, I genuinely enjoyed getting to know Li-Young Lee.  There were no secrets or uncertainties in his works.  They are taken as what they are--beautiful accounts of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment